Thursday, September 19, 2013

Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse

There is a reason why food stylists get paid so much.  They are the fashion designers of the food world.  And I merely dress my food like I dress myself-- simple and utilitarian.  No fuss, no special lighting, no airbrushed effect or dreamy background blur while the food lounges about on robins egg blue plates.  Nope.  Its in a bowl, with a spoon, and it tastes really good.  Thats the way I roll.
This is my new favorite dessert discovery.   I have always been a fan of brownies and cakes and cookies.  For some reason, I can fool myself into thinking that it is a better dessert choice because they have flour and flour is kind of like bread (In one of Bill Cosby's greatest bits, he makes a similar rationalization and feeds his children cake for breakfast under the guise that it has milk, eggs, and flour-- much to his wife's horror).  So I have stayed away from mousses because in my head a mousse contains butter and cream and eggs which leaves me NO room for the health food rationalization I use.  This mousse is different.  It is made with silken tofu, peanut butter, bittersweet chocolate, and maple syrup.  And it takes roughly 10 minutes to make-- tops.  As far as desserts go, is the best bad choice you can make, and it tastes really wonderful and smooth and creamy.  You can make a small serving go a long way by eating small bites with a baby spoon (which is how I eat most of my spoon-needing desserts).  It has a nicely intense taste that doesn't require drowning yourself in dessert.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse (adapted from Spork-fed)

1 1/2 cups bittersweet or semi sweet chocolate chips
1 block silken tofu (14 oz) (you can find this at most grocery stores, and all asian markets-- pretty cheap)
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup chunky peanut butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
dash sea salt

Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler or in a metal bowl over a small  pot filled with an inch or two of simmering water. Let chocolate melt for about 3 minutes, then stir until all the chips are melted.  Remove from the stove and set aside.
In a large food processor, combine all the remaining ingredients and blend until the mixture is smooth and creamy.   Add in the melted chocolate and blend a little more until the chocolate is fully incorporated and the mixture is uniform.
Transfer mousse mixture to a bowl and refrigerate at least a couple of hours or overnight for a thick consistency.  Or consume now...
Serve to your adoring crowd and enjoy!  Or eat it all yourself over the course of a week...in small doses.

No comments:

Post a Comment