Monday, May 13, 2013

Sweet Potato Black Bean Burritos


Mmm...we had these tonight.  I am excited to share them.  This was one of the first recipes I ever tried when I started transitioning to the dark side...I mean, more vegetarian food.  It is one of those meals that everyone enjoys, no matter who they are or how strongly they adhere to the "meat at every meal" concept.  It is another of those cheap, fast, easy, and nutritious meals that I like to keep in my arsenal, and is very flavorful and filling.  I vote sweet potatoes the chameleon of the vegetable/tuber family-- they can become anything you want them to be.  In this recipe I had some extra corn and sweet peppers on hand so I added them to the recipe, but feel free to adapt as needed.

Sweet Potato Black Bean burritos (adapted liberally from allrecipes.com)

1 TBSP olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced,
2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup frozen corn, defrosted
1 cup water
2 TBSP chili powder
2 tsp cumin
3 tsp prepared mustard
1 pinch cayenne pepper, to taste
2 TBSP soy sauce
3 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes (I peel and cube sweet potatoes then simmer them in a little bit of water until they are very soft, then mash with a fork)
6-8 flour tortillas
shredded cheese

Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Heat oil in medium skillet and saute onion, garlic, and peppers until soft.  Add in all the spices and sauces and cook for another minute or two.  Add in the beans and then mash the beans in the skillet until about 1/4 of them are mashed.  Add in the water and corn and simmer for another 5 minutes until the mixture thickens a bit.  Remove from heat and cool for 5-10 minutes.

Divide the bean mixture and the mashed sweet potatoes evenly among your tortillas and top with cheese. Roll into a burrito.  Don't worry about closing up the ends of the burrito.  So I guess its more like a fat taquito.  Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes until you achieve desired crispiness!


No comments:

Post a Comment