Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Coconut dal

This meal is better than it looks.  Please don't judge these lentils from the poor lighting or amateur status of the photographer.  I take all my photos with my iphone.  You are lucky I even took a photo at all.  Most of the time I remember halfway through the meal and then my plate doesn't look appetizing at all.  Also, I used the "wrong" kind of lentils.  I just used plain old greenish brown lentils.  When you use yellow or red lentils the dish looks like sunshine on a plate. This coconut lentil dish is superb and simple and hearty and inexpensive-- all the things you can ask for in a meal.  And its also easy and doesn't require finesse or weird ingredients-- bonus!

Coconut dal (adapted from Yummy Supper)

1 1/2 cups of dried lentils (yellow lentils look prettiest, but if you don't mind the color, just use brown)
4 1/2 cups veggie stock or water
2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
2 TBS olive or vegetable oil
2 cups diced onions
1 garlic clove minced
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes or cayenne, or a 1 small fresh chili, minced
1 cup coconut milk1

Cook lentil is water or stock with salt and 1 tsp turmeric.  When the lentils are tender, drain, but keep some of the cooking liquid.  In a separate pan, saute the onions with vegetable oil, garlic, cumin, 1 tsp of turmeric, and chilis or red pepper until the onions are golden, stirring constantly.  Add a little bit of the coconut milk to the onion mixture to get all the good bits off the bottom of the pan. 

Mix onions with cooked lentil and reheat slowly.  Then add the rest of the coconut milk.  continue heating a few minutes more.  You may add more coconut milk or some of the reserved liquid if the dal is too dry or thick.

1 comment:

  1. I made this tonight with the red lentils I had on hand. So delicious! It was a perfect meal for a rare rainy-day in southern Utah.

    ReplyDelete