Friday, April 13, 2012

Veggie burgers

The ultimate veggie burger (in my humble but correct opinion), and the best place to start if you are wanting to add in more meatless entrees into the rotation. You won't be dissapointed.
This was what we ate Superbowl Sunday. Veggie burger (from "the Food Network"), baked sweet potato fries (from "Our best bites") and a curred pea and cabbage cole slaw (from "Allrecipes.com"). So good. I entered it in a burger competition (okay, so it was just a bunch of friends), and I got 4 votes for best burger. Even meat eaters like it.

adapted from "Morgan's Veggie Patties"
2 TBSP olive oil
1/2 cup diced red onion
1/3 cup diced black olives
1/2 cup diced red bell peppers
1 diced jalapeno
1/4 cup minced garlic
1/4 cup diced artichoke
1 can black beans, drained
1 can chickpeas, drained
1 can white beans, drained
2 1/4 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 TBSP dried oregano
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
1 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
3 eggs

Basically, just saute all the veggies in olive oil until tender, and then let them cool. Add the veggies to the beans and all the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl. I like to mash this together and mix it with my hand, kind of smashing the beans into the mixture along the way. If it seems too wet, add a little more bread crumbs. It won't look perfect because the beans will still look like beans.

Shape into large patties and place on greased baking sheet, and then chill for about a half hour. It will help the patties to firm up and they will hold together better when you cook them.

I have had great success both with baking and frying. Usually I fry these in a little canola oil-- a few minutes on each side (depending on the size of the patty). The recipe makes quite a few veggie burgers (unless you make them huge), and from what I hear they freeze well. So go at it.

2 comments:

  1. I understand the "weird" factor. When I was ten I watched a 20/20 show on E coli and didn't eat a hamburger for years...it still kind of weirds me out. These look like a tasty alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum. I'm excited to try these. I've made several different veggie burgers, but these look like a new favorite. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete